Detroit Mercy Takes Second at Big Blue Tourney
Written By: email@example.com
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (4/11/2017) -- Junior Eric Macrow (Kingston, Ont. / Holy Cross) tallied a season-low 217 and senior Kyle Gaines (Oxford, Mich. / Brother Rice) fired a 222 leading four Titans to top-20 finishes as the University of Detroit Mercy men's golf team was runner-up at Tennessee State's Big Blue Intercollegiate.
Detroit Mercy recorded a season-best 887 (296-294-297) as the Titans claimed second place, just seven shots out of first and 13 better than third place.
Macrow finished up a stellar tournament with his second-straight 1-over 73 as he posted a 217 (71-73-73) scorecard for a share of fourth place, four shots off the lead. It was his third career top-10 effort and the first this season.
Gaines' 222 (74-73-75) tied for eighth, while freshman Scott Sparks (Shelby Township, Mich. / Macomb Lutheran North) and Zack Tenerowicz (Liberty Township, Ohio / Lakota East) tied for 13th with a 224, a season low for Sparks.
The Titans will have one more event left in the regular season as Detroit Mercy plays in Notre Dame's Battle at the Warren on Saturday, April 15.
Here is a recap of the TSU Big Blue Invitational:
- The Titans' 887 was one shot better than the 888 it posted at the Cleveland State Invitational in the fall.
- The runner-up finish was the best in a tournament since taking second at the Jackrabbit Invitational last spring.
- Macrow's career low is a 216 at the 2016 Jackrabbit Invitational, while his season low was the 219 he had at the Hoosier Invitational.
- Macrow led the team and was tied for second in the field with 11 birdies and his 33 pars was second on the team.
- Macrow was fourth in the field with a +1, 4.03 average on the course's par 4's and tied for fourth with an even-par 3.00 average on the par 3's.
- His 1-under 71 in the first round was one shot off his career best and was the best round in the event for the Titans.
- Macrow's best career finish was a tie for third at the 2016 Jackrabbit Invitational.
- Gaines recorded his 10th career top-10 finish and the third this season.
- Sparks carded a season-low 224 (73-75-76), surpassing the 226 he had a few weeks ago at the Bobby Nichols Intercollegiate.
- It was his third top-20 finish of the year.
- Tenerowicz tallied his second top-20 event of the year and had the only eagle for the Titans knocking in his third shot on the par 5 5th hole in round one.
- Gaines and Tenerowicz knocked in nine birdies and Sparks had eight.
- Junior Devan Schulert led the team with 34 pars.
Head Coach Luke LaFave '02 on the Event:
- "We played hard today and just came up a bit short, but overall, a very good event with our season best finish. I am excited about the direction we are heading going into conference championship in two weeks, and I feel very good about this squad."
- "Eric played nicely in leading us again this week and seems to be very much in control of his game."
- "Kyle was steady again this event as he has been all year and it was a good event for both Scott and Zack as they continue to improve each event."